[reportlab-users] Compatibility with Windows 7, 64 bit

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Aug 16 08:55:16 EDT 2011

On 16 August 2011 12:40, Paul Keating <Paul.Keating at nibc.com> wrote:

> This message happens when you have installed 64-bit Python, but then try to run a 32-bit ReportLab installer.

> The 32-bit installer says it can't find Python, because 32- and 64-bit apps don't share the same registry space. Windows 64-bit redirects registry calls to HKLM\Software from 32-bit apps to a subtree HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node.

> This is a good thing, because 32-bit and 64-bit apps can't call one another's DLLs either.

> There is a 64-bit ReportLab installer: I know that because I have downloaded it, and used it, and there is a copy on my install server. It's called reportlab-2.4.win-amd64-py2.6.exe.

> But I don't see it on the download page.

Paul, that's a good point. I had already replied to the original
poster by direct email and the builds are in
http://www.reportlab.com/ftp/

But the code which builds the download page is designed to find the
latest package of each siginificant version, and it doesn't have
something to list a 64-bit one. We'll try to get this fixed in the
next day or two.

- Andy