[reportlab-users] Reportlab performance

Leszek Syroka leszek.marek.syroka at cern.ch
Wed May 12 09:20:08 EDT 2010

Hello,

my name is Leszek Syroka. I am CERN employee, developing Indico, a web
application using your library to create PDFs.

Right now our main concern is performance of 'platypus'. Creating a
document, similar to attached one, but containing 1032 pages, about 1
200 000 characters and no images takes about 12 minutes. Is it a normal
time of creating such document?

Moreover I found out that to insert the table of contents document is
created in three iterations. First time to create a document with blank
table of contents, second one to put there and adjust dynamically
created one and third time to fit the table of contents containing more
than one page. Is it possible to make this operation only once?

I would also like to know how much quicker is using pdfgen library in
favor of platypus, which for our application is a bit to slow.

Best regards
Leszek Syroka