[reportlab-users] Spreadsheet Table

Tomasz Świderski contact at tomaszswiderski.com
Tue Feb 23 13:37:25 EST 2010

Andy Robinson wrote:

> On a separate topic, I bet people will immediately want to use this

> with various kinds of database query output. What do you think about

> adding formats to cell styles, so that a column could contain numeric

> data but still be specified to look like "$1,234.00" in the style?

It could be implemented as:

'FORMAT', (sc, sr), (ec, er), callable

where callable will take string as argument and return formated string.
Callable behavior will be up to users. For example:

def dollar_format(cell_value):
try:
return '$ %.2f' % float(cell_value)
except Exception:
return cell_value

or

def upper(cell_value):
return cell_value.upper()

It would complicate col widths calculation a bit but it's doable.

And this don't have to be limited to numeric data - for example format
callable which capitalize every word etc.

Tomasz Świderski