[reportlab-users] Status of Python 3 port?

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 13:07:18 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> On 4 February 2010 17:34, Peter <peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> How about you make a new clean lean reportlab which works on

>> both Python 2.x (say Python 2.5+) and Python 3.x?

> Python trunk (i.e. moving up to 2.7 once release) and 3.x would seem

> the way to go, trying to run both through 2to3 and nightly builds.

That was what I had in mind - or perhaps using 3to2 instead if that
pans out.

> However, I question how many people really need a new incompatible

> library on 2.x.

The point would be to help any project using ReportLab (any version)
and trying to support both Python 2.x and Python 3.x (something I
hope we'll be able to do with Biopython one day).

> The real issue is how badly the Python world needs a reportlab-2.x on

> Python 3.0, and whether we have to bother!

> So, now for the really big question:  who out there would actually

> help write code, maintain branches and so on?

Right now I have very little experience with Python 3.x, but hope
to look into this later this year. At some point after that, I would
expect to offer some limited help testing ReportLab on Python 3.x
(as part of testing Biopython on Python 3.x).

Peter