[reportlab-users] Status of Python 3 port?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Feb 4 12:29:35 EST 2010

On 4 February 2010 16:52, Neil Schemenauer <nas-python at arctrix.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I was wondering what is status of porting reportlab to Python 3?  Is

> there something I can do to help the process along?

It's more a matter of resources and priorities than technical
problems. Most of our work is about maintaining large publishing
systems for clients, which run on Django and use PIL and a bunch of
other utilities, so until those move across, we couldn't migrate those
systems, and are thus under no pressure ourselves.

If you or anyone else has the energy to help work on it, I'm sure we
can contribute and it will get us there sooner. I guess we'd need to
make a significant branch as our code works back to 2.3 at the moment.

What I really wanted to do is make a clean break and base a new,
incompatible, smaller and cleaner 'reportlab3' on Python 3.x. The
clean distinction between Unicode and byte arrays would be a big plus
for our kind of library, and an incompatible new version would let us
do some much better things. But Guido said "don't do that" :-(

- Andy