[reportlab-users] BUG: Indenters not allowed in table cells?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Sep 1 05:24:50 EDT 2009

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> I had a problem doing this in rst2pdf, but I am now thinking this may be a

> reportlab limitation. If I use an Indenter flowable in a cell, I get an

> exception about Indenters not having a width.

> This is with RL 2.3

I think this is a limitation. Indenters and other action flowables were intended
to act on frames which are fixed size. Unfortunately for fairly obvious reasons
we don't create a frame for each cell at wrap or draw time; originally cells
were expected to contain strings, then strings or paragraphs then strings or
lists of flowables. Unfortunately that leads to problems when we have action
flowables like next frame or page break or in this case indenter.

It's arguable that we ought to allow almost arbitrary levels of complexity in
every container like object; why should we disallow multi column text in a cell?

Pragmatism says no to that idealism.