[reportlab-users] Canvas background

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Sep 1 05:13:19 EDT 2009

Harry Waye wrote:

> Hello,

> I'm trying to merge (using pyPdf) a template pdf with a pdf generated

> from rml with trml2pdf. The rml generated pdf appears to have a white

> background, thus obscures the template pdf on merging. I would like it

> to be transparent.

so far as I know reportlab draws only where it's told to. So I don't think there
should be any overall page background. If trml2pdf is really tiny rml then it
may be something that tiny rml does.

> Is this something that can be specified in rml? Is there any way I can

> import the template pdf on generation? I noticed there was an include

> pdf tag in the rml user guide, but I get the feeling that it places the

> included pdf on top. Is there anything else I can do?

The include tag is used to include content. Including a background PDF in rml is
something we do all the time, but we do use pageCatcher in rml2pdf to do that.
Order of operations is important so backgrounds are included first.

> Is placing a background colour on the pdf an attempt to stop me doing

> such things, and to push be to PageCatcher? ;-)

Not by us at least.