[reportlab-users] RTL Patch Committed

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Nov 23 18:57:39 EST 2009

2009/11/23 Yoann Roman <yroman-reportlab at altalang.com>:

> Since I keep bringing this up, I figured I'd actually *show* what I'm

> talking about. Attached are three files:

> Again, I haven't seen something that does this in Python, but I think

> this issue should be mentioned in a RL release with Pyfribidi to avoid

> problems from people assuming proper shaping for all languages.

I'm confused. Are you using pyfribidi2-0.8.0 linked to
fribidi-0.19.2? i.e. built with the exact instructions Hosam gave
this morning (note especially the 'sed' command)?

I ask because I notice your script does 'import pyfribidi' and NOT
'import pyfribidi2'.

We followed what he said and the Arabic example, which had previously
reversed the characters but failed to combine them, corrected itself
and combined pairs properly (according to our native speaker). i.e.
log2vis outputted different code points which the font engine was able
to combine.

However, I know next to nothing about these writing systems and only
had an hour to spare on it today. In particular I don't know if you
are describing an issue common to Arabic and Pashto. I will continue
my crash course in RTL languages tomorrow ;-)

Thanks,
--
Andy