[reportlab-users] RTL Support

Yoann Roman yroman-reportlab at altalang.com
Tue Nov 17 16:35:47 EST 2009

> I would like to contribute to supporting RTL texts within ReportLab.

> I have seen some previous work by Moshe Wagner, and I would like to

> help too.

> I just hope to have some help or guidance from you, as I am relatively

> new to ReportLab. Meanwhile, I will start by trying Moshe's patch.

We deal with a large number of languages on a daily basis, and RTL
support has been a real issue for us. Moshe's patch uses Pyfribidi,
which we've also used successfully to get basic RTL support going.

The main issue we still have is with Arabic scripts. While Pyfribidi
will do some Arabic shaping, it's really doing Unicode substitutions
with the Arabic Presentation Forms blocks. Problem is those blocks are
meant for legacy use and don't cover all possible combinations. We've
run into incorrect shaping with Pashto, Farsi, and Dari so far.

I've yet to find anything in Python that deals with this.

--
Yoann Roman