[reportlab-users] Installing on Mac OSX [SOLVED]

Andrea Riciputi mr.rech.list at gmail.com
Fri May 29 07:10:47 EDT 2009

Hi,
I must thank you all for your support. Actually installing ReportLab
on my Mac (OSX 10.5, Apple's Python 2.5.1) was easier than expected.
Here it is the (not so short) recipe to get it done, just in case
anyone else will need it again.

First of all easy_install: ReportLab (RL hereafter) doesn't build
properly using easy_install (at least at the time of this writing). It
is unfortunate that if you try to run "% easy_install reportlab" from
your shell prompt the package get downloaded and the compilation
process begin, failing with an error message that can leave the unware
user a little bit puzzled.

I'd suggest RL people to make the easy_install process explicitly
unavailable, like PIL people did. (If you try "% easy_install pil" you
get a much more explicit message: "No local packages or download links
found for pil")

Now you should first take care of the dependencies: ReportLab depends
on FreeType2 and PIL. The latter depends on FreeType2, jpeglib, zlib,
and Tkinter (as reported in PIL documentation). Tkinter is already
installed on OSX so, before installing RL, you must first install:
libjpeg, zlib, FT2, and PIL.

Since I'm not much fond of installing big pagkages from source I chose
to install them using Macports (<http://www.macports.org/>). You can
also use Fink (<http://www.finkproject.org/>) if you prefer,
fortunately both PIL and RL are smart enough to find all the required
libraries in the MacPorts/Finks default paths.

So using MacPorts, just type in:

% port install jpeg zlib freetype

after a while you should get all the libraries installed.

At this point, I'd strongly suggest to you to create a virtual
environment (read here <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv/1.3.3>)
to install and play with PIL and RL.

Once you virtual enviroment is set and active, get the PIL tarball
from <http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/> expand it, enter the
expanded directory, and follow the README instructions:

% python setup.py build_ext -i
% python selftest.py (optional)
% python setup.py install

Everything should be fine. Finally get the RL tarball from <http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
>, again expand it and cd into the expanded directory, and again
follow the INSTALL instructions:

% python setup.py install
% python setup.py tests (optional)

Again everything should be fine, or at least was so for me. Hope this
could be usefull to other OSX users.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 28 May, 2009, at 23:46, John Keyes wrote:

> Hi Andrea,

> I installed everything from source not too long ago but I didn't

> document everything.

> It was a pretty straightforward process to get ReportLab installed

> from what I remember. If you run into any difficulties post back

> here and I'll try to help out.

> Cheers,

> -John K

> Andrea Riciputi wrote:

>> Hi Aaron,

>> installing FreeType and PIL from sources scares me a little bit.

>> Both of them are quite big packages and I can imagine they also

>> have many dependencies in turn. Could you be so kind to give me

>> some more details about the procedure?

>> TIA,

>> Andrea

>> On 28 May, 2009, at 22:17, Aaron Barlow wrote:

>>> Andrea,

>>> I've installed Reportlab on several Mac, but you can't use

>>> easy_install do to because of some of the required dependencies

>>> (i.e. FreeType and PIL). You'll have better success installing

>>> ReportLab and its dependencies from source.

>>> --

>>> Aaron