[reportlab-users] Installing on Mac OSX

Paul Barrass paul.barrass at safeonlinebilling.com
Thu May 28 17:33:07 EDT 2009

Aaron Barlow wrote:

> Andrea,

> I've installed Reportlab on several Mac, but you can't use

> easy_install do to because of some of the required dependencies (i.e.

> FreeType and PIL). You'll have better success installing ReportLab and

> its dependencies from source.

It (probably) won't be necessary to install FreeType and PIL from source
if you install the packages and the -devel packages (or Mac equivalents,
not something I've ever tried). Installing RL from the install tarball
is the supported option (and just a matter of make install) -
easy_install is explicitly unsupported.

I was under the impression that both FT and PIL were both optional
dependencies (though highly recommended), so you might not have to worry
about them if you just want a quick try out, maybe someone more in the
know will let you know when they see your problems.

Paul Barrass.