[reportlab-users] PDFs generated by ReportLab not printing

King Simon-NFHD78 simon.king at motorola.com
Fri May 29 05:01:25 EDT 2009

Marius Gedminas wrote:

> Is there any way to trigger the problem on Linux (e.g. with

> ghostscript)?

> I'm curious and wouldn't mind spending a little time debugging.

Hi Marius,

Acrobat Reader on Linux is unable to convert the PDF to PostScript
(using acroread -toPostScript). However, pdf2ps does work. I don't know
ghostscript well enough to know if there is any other way I could try to
reproduce the problem.

As far as creating the PDF goes, if you have the font 'Arial Unicode MS'
(which is distributed as part of MS Office), then the script that I
posted earlier creates the faulty PDF on linux as well.

I think 'Arial Unicode MS' is also distributed with Mac OS X - I've no
idea whether that version of the font has the same issues.

If you are interested I could send you the font file off list, but it is
23Mb.

I don't know what other fonts trigger the issue.

I don't know whether it's important, but when I run something similar to
the ghostscript command that pdf2ps uses, I get the following output:

# gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=arialtest9.ps -f
arialtest9.pdf
GPL Ghostscript 8.61 (2007-11-21)
Copyright (C) 2007 Artifex Software, Inc. All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Processing pages 1 through 1.
Page 1
/var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/n019003l.pfb... 2914644 1348874 2707756
1132476 3 done.

Why is ghostscript loading Nimbus Sans? Is it replacing the font that's
in the PDF file in some way?

Thanks,

Simon