[reportlab-users] PDFs generated by ReportLab not printing

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu May 28 03:20:23 EDT 2009

2009/5/27 Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com>:

> both, we use many windows fonts as ttfs and all seem to print OK on our

> laserjet 1010. I just printed your "Some text in Arial Unicode MS" example

> and that worked fine.

> --

I'm dredging up ten-year-old memories here but it depends what is
driving the laserjet.

First, it at least used to be possible to use HP LaserJets with either
PCL drivers (the default on Windows) or postscript drivers (the
default on Mac). Secondly, AcroRead on Windows may not be using
Postscript at all - Windows has its own printing system involving
sending graphics to the printer as a 'device context' (sort of like
our canvas).

Macs used to use Postscript between the computer and printer but I
don't know these days.

So a positive print on our office laser from Windows doesn't rule out
a problem with the file entirely. But it could be a buggy printer
driver.

- Andy