[reportlab-users] Automatic testing PDF output

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri May 22 10:53:54 EDT 2009

Andy Robinson:

> Just knowing that 'something changed' in the full test suite output of

> rst2pdf, z3c.rml or even our own test suite is of limited use. There

> are a ton of spurious changes at the pixel level when you update

> libraries involved in the rendering of the text as well as the

> generation (or switch fonts at someone else's behest!). We've tried.

There is stuff you expect to change and there is stuff you expect
*not* to change. Both can be tested, isn't it? People on this list
have shown how to do it.

> What we could really use is a collection of small scripts or

> functions, each exercising one carefully-thought-out "feature that

> matters", with a brief note underneath saying what the inspector

> should see. For example, the table I posted yesterday and the

> statement 'all cells in this table should have the same baseline'.

That almost sounds like you're having a plan. So what's the next
action? My suggestion is: ask yourself who should be responsible
to implement it?

Regards,

Dinu

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/dinugherman