[reportlab-users] Automatic testing PDF output

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri May 22 09:41:26 EDT 2009

Roberto Alsina:

> The latest version of the script where this fragment comes from will

> always be

> at

> http://code.google.com/p/rst2pdf/source/browse/trunk/rst2pdf/tests/input/run_tests.sh

Roberto, that's great! Welcome to the club of people writing
that kind of stuff! If you search long enough you'll find simi-
lar things by others, and z3c.rml should also have that built
in. I wrote my own tool maybe five years ago and I know of
somebody else who did it six months ago.

But that's hardly the problem. The problem is acknowledging the
value of such tests and actually *using* them before making re-
leases. Then and only then we might be able to prevent such,
uhm, "interesting effects" like with the font baseline that we
suffer from now.

I'm actually very curious how much "fun" the z3c folks are hav-
ing with these? So far at least I haven't seen Stefan Richter
complaining yet. Perhaps we can solve them with a Google "Sum-
mer of Code" in typography for ReportLab?

In the meantime I'd be happy to see some workaround solutions
proposed by ReportLab to make sure code up to RL 2.3 produces
the same output as for RL 2.3.

Regards,

Dinu