[reportlab-users] External hyperlinks in SVG output

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 19 07:10:03 EDT 2009

2009/3/19 Peter <peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>:

> On a related topic, would you be interested in an HTML image map

> renderer in ReportLab?  This would return a fragment of HTML for using

> in combination with a PNG or other bitmap from renderPM as part of a

> webpage, both drawn from the same ReportLab object.  I have something

> working (links for basic shapes like rectangles, polygons, circles),

> but there are still some rough edges and missing features (e.g. no

> links on string objects).

Definitely nice to have. We should probably arrange it so each element
in the image map could trigger a javascript function as well as being
plain URLs, since Javascript is taking the world over right now..

> It would be nice to have some basic URL support in PDF output,

We do, but not linked in with charts. You can specify rectangles
to act as 'hot zones' with hyperlinks to parts of the PDF or external
documents. However, when we render a chart to PDF, we're not
doing anything like this. It would be very neat if, say, a chart
on page 3 of a PDF annual report could 'drill down' to a detailed
table on page 17.

I think if all these are put together, it would make a very nice
extension to the graphics module.

We'll probably get some time to think about this in April, but anything
you can come up with in the next week or two will certainly get
reviewed. We can set up a branch for it if you want to work heavily
on this.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson