[reportlab-users] Merging parts of pdf files

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 12 08:10:17 EDT 2009

2009/3/12 David Brown <david at westcontrol.com>:

> One thing I am missing, however, is the ability to import an existing pdf

> page (or part of a page) as a Flowable in the same way that other images can

> be added to a page.  I am not well versed in the details of the pdf format,

> but I believe it can handle embedded pdf files in the same way as embedded

> jpeg images.

Not exactly true - a lot of work is needed to reuse PDF files as graphics,
involving fairly thorough parsing of all used fonts and external objects,
whereas jpegs can just be slurped into the PDF inline at the right point.

We have a commercial add-on, PageCatcher, which does this. Fees
depend on volume and you can evaluate it without a commitment
- feel free to email me directly, or our enquiries address here, and
we can give you a login and a quotation:
http://www.reportlab.com/contact/

> At the moment, I'm using pyPdf to merge my generated pdf file with the

> imported pdf file, which works here but is not a very elegant solution.

That is currently the usual the free solution.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson, CEO, ReportLab