[reportlab-users] Merging parts of pdf files

David Brown david at westcontrol.com
Thu Mar 12 05:43:22 EDT 2009

I've been using ReportLab to generate reports from a wxPython
application. It's an extremely useful library, and gives much better
quality pdfs than using postscript printouts and a postscript to pdf
converter (and it's much easier and faster than other sophisticated pdf
generators, like pdfLaTeX).

One thing I am missing, however, is the ability to import an existing
pdf page (or part of a page) as a Flowable in the same way that other
images can be added to a page. I am not well versed in the details of
the pdf format, but I believe it can handle embedded pdf files in the
same way as embedded jpeg images. Certainly pdfLaTeX can handle
imported pdf files in this way.

Is such a Flowable possible to implement for future versions of ReportLab?

At the moment, I'm using pyPdf to merge my generated pdf file with the
imported pdf file, which works here but is not a very elegant solution.

mvh.,

David Brown
Norway.