[reportlab-users] Turn off automatic mailto links?

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 15:49:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Roberto
Alsina<ralsina at netmanagers.com.ar> wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 July 2009 10:33:30 Robin Becker wrote:

>> Roberto Alsina wrote:

It's good to know that the code is working properly. I wasn't sure if
the creation of the link was part of the PDF standard or not. I ought
to apologize, because I had tried viewing the sample in SumatraPDF,
and in that app, the link was not created. But I wasn't sure if
SumatraPDF was working right.

[...]

>> The only problem with the homograph ide is that most fonts won't have one

>> easily. I suppose we could modify the encoding to support the right

>> behaviour and or embed a single glyph etc etc.

>> Even if we over come that we then have a document where if we search for

>> example at example.com then it wouldn't be found even though it's in plain

>> view.

> And if you copy that into a mail program it will give the most confusing error

> ever.

As far as I'm concerned, the links are irritating but not a deal
breaker. Since it's more the fault of Adobe Reader than ReportLab or
the PDF format, I wouldn't fuss about implementing a workaround.

Matt Folwell suggested turning off link creation; the preference
setting is the same in Adobe Reader 9 as it is in version 8. Works
like a charm, and I'll recommend it to my coworkers. I'll also
recommend SumatraPDF, for many sensible reasons.

-- Dave O