[reportlab-users] Geraldo

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Jul 8 10:46:06 EDT 2009

Marinho Brandao:

> [...] but Geraldo is not only that. Geraldo make things like bands,

> subreports, page header/footer, report begin/end, data driving grids,

> etc... and output files in PDF (using ReportLab) and Text formats (and

> in a near future, also to ODF Docs and Sheets).

Hi Marinho,

thanks for the explanation! Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to me
like your implicit definition of the term "report" is that of a
rectangular area (mostly table-like) with data-like "stuff" inside.
That would make sense given how you use the term "subreport". I
think I'm probably wrong, at least to some degree, but I'd much
appreciate some clarification of the terms "report/subreport" as
well as "band" and "grid" in this context.

BTW, I've seen recently a presentation on JasperReports and was im-
pressed with their interactive tools. Pitty, RL hasn't developped
into that area, at least not with public tools, AFAIK.

Regards,

Dinu

PS: It would be nice to see some really running testsuite instead
of the ASCII text in the distribution. Python's unittest package
is great for doing this...

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/dinugherman