[reportlab-users] Doing multiple pages with variable data

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jul 6 14:45:23 EDT 2009

Mike Driscoll wrote:

> I know this is probably a common question, but I'm not finding the

> answer in the archives so far. I have a large dataset with varied

> lengths of data. Basically, it will be a list of lists or a list of

> dicts. Anyway, I don't really know how much will be able to fit per

> page with my current requirements. What is the recommended way of

> putting semi-random data onto multiple pages and getting it to break

> correctly? Do I have to count the number of lines I've output somehow?

I guess it depends on how much you need to do to the data. Platypus is
really good at managing documents that consist of a series of
"flowables". If your data can be arranged in a series of things of
variable height that are page-wide, then what you ask is pretty easy.
You can just derive your own class from Paragraph and lay things out
yourself.

If you need spreadsheet-like functionality, where things need to break
within cells and cells can be arbitrarily large, that's where things get
really tricky.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.