[reportlab-users] Is there a "cell" or "phrase" Flowable?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Jul 2 17:43:12 EDT 2009

2009/7/2 Michael Hipp <Michael at hipp.com>:

> Could any Flowables be made to work this way?

No, sorry. They really do flow downwards ('display:block' in CSS,
which was not well understood when we started out or we'd have nicked
their terminology).

I think you need to decide whether one fact per line is tolerable - in
which case you can use a table, or a paragraph with the 'bullet'
feature for "City:" etc, which could let you indent follow-on lines
nicely.

If you really want to do your own 'line breaking' rules for such a
block of facts (which are not obvious to me), your best bet is to
write a new flowable using stringWidth internally. This is not hard
at all.

- Andy