[reportlab-users] drawToFile and drawToString docstrings

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 10:54:26 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> Thanks. We've noted these, but I won't guarantee to fix them for the 2.3

> release next week. In general ALL our docstrings need an overhaul by a

> good writer who knows the code, but since we derive no revenue from our

> open source activities and are perennially busy, we don't do as much

> documentation as we should.

That would be a big bonus for anyone new to ReportLab, or even those
how have used it a fair bit. The PDF tutorials are good, but don't
cover this low level stuff.

> If you are willing to submit actual new paragraphs as replacements,

> or patches, we will definitely review them and put them in quickly. We're

> also happy to grant commit rights to anyone willing to work on the docs -

> just email me to ask.

At this point I doubt I'll have enough suggestions to warrant commit
access, but we'll see. I could put together a diff against the trunk
code to update the render modules' docstrings, but not right now.
Hopefully next week...

> Instead of working through the docstrings, we are planning to put our

> 'community time' over the next couple of months into a web based

> mechanism to solicit better docs and comments. I'll let people

> know when this is ready, but it will be a few weeks.

Fair enough. I would certainly vote for fixing up the docstrings a bit ;)

Thanks,

Peter