[reportlab-users] Tons of table questions

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Feb 26 06:02:27 EST 2009

Hi,

I guess this is the main (FAQ one) to start with... How can I make
tables render more quickly?

From my experiments it seems that tables are rendered roughly in
O(n^2) with n being the number of rows (in my current example 1000
rows take a minute, but 10 x 100 take 6 seconds).

Does it have to be like that? What can be done against it? Do plain
strings instead of Paragraphs help? Does it help to preset all col-
umn widths with fixed values? Is the LongTable class the solution?

Also, is there any useful sample code / test / documentation for
the splitlast/splitfirst features in tables that one can understand
without digging into mail archives, only to find that it likely
is not working as it should?

And finally, is there a workaround to speedup table rendering by
splitting it into little chunks and concatenating them? In order
for that to work one would need a table header that is shown only
at the beginning of a new frame. Is that realistic?

Regards,

Dinu