[reportlab-users] External hyperlinks in SVG output

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:22:03 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> my reading of the latest link annotation dictionary definition seems to

> indicate that it can be a rectangle /Rect entry or

>> QuadPoints

>> array

>> (Optional; PDF 1.6) An array of 8 × n numbers specifying the coordinates

>> of nquadrilaterals in default user space that comprise the region in which

>> the link should be activated. The coordinates for each quadrilateral are

>> given in the order x1 y1 x2 y2 x3 y3 x4 y4 specifying the four vertices of

>> the quadrilateral in counterclockwise order. For orientation purposes,

>> such as when applying an underline border style, the bottom of a

>> quadrilateral is the line formed by (x1 , y1) and (x2 , y2).

>> If this entry is not present or the viewer application does not recognize it,

>> the region specified by the Rect entry should be used. QuadPoints should

>> be ignored if any coordinate in the array lies outside the region specified

>> by Rect.

> it doesn't look like you can get a generic path region as the clickable.

Thanks for the information - that is at least better than just
non-rotated rectangular regions. What version of PDF does ReportLab
normally generate? If we can use the QuadPoints feature that would
support the ReportLab shapes.Rect nicely (at any rotation or other
translation), and polygons with four points. Triangles (polygons with
three points) should also be easy. Other shapes would have to be
approximated (ugly), given as the bounding rectangle (simple), or not
supported at all...

Does any of this apply to PostScript? I know you can embed some PDF
stuff into PostScript, but I haven't looked at the details of
renderPS.py to see how ReportLab does this.

Thanks,

Peter