[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.3 is out!

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Feb 6 06:59:59 EST 2009

2009/2/6 Christoph Zwerschke <cito at online.de>:

> Yes, it scans the links in the HTML code. But the selection is done by

> interpretation of the name of the URLs (which can contain version, checksum

> etc.) and introspection of the packages, not by timestamp.

Thanks for the links, but we already studied those and they don't help.
Everything on PyPI looks correctly configured; 2.0 is marked as 'hidden'
but I see no reason why we should take it down.

I had to trace through the setuptools code as it runs to find the problem.
It parses a simple listing file on python.org with the distros we uploade
(which seems reasonable), and also spiders our whole damned site,
looking for files ending in .tar.gz, .tgz, .zip, .egg etc. But it
makes assumptions about the way packages are named, and the fact
that we used "ReportLab_2_3.tgz" instead of "reportlab-2.3.tgz" causes it
to skip past and say "unknown version" on almost all of them.

I went for a quick workaround and removed the download URLs from PyPI,
so easy_install at least gives up now rather than getting the wrong package.

I'll try a few more experiments and update people later. Changing the
package names we used for 7 years is frankly a major pain in the arse,
but maybe we can rename the output packages uploaded to PyPI

- Andy