[reportlab-users] Plans to deprecate Python 2.3, 2.4

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Dec 16 08:28:44 EST 2009

"Andy Robinson" <andy at reportlab.com>:

> Hi all,

> We feel that the forthcoming 2.4 release should probably be the last

> one which works with Pythons 2.3 and 2.4. We'd like to move the

> baseline up AFTER the release so that Python 2.5 is required, and we

> can safely write code with little '@' signs.

Dropping 2.3 seems reasonable to me, if you want to use
decorators, but 2.4 includes decorator support.

> Does this cause problems for any substantial groups of people out

> there? Are there still millions of Zope users stuck on Python 2.3,

> for example?

I think 2.4 is still *widely* used in the Zope 2/Plone 3
world (I'm using it myself there). Only Plone 4 (still
alpha) will shift to Python 2.6.

So dropping 2.4 now sounds like providing a solid base for
upset users, including myself.

Regards,

Dinu