[reportlab-users] RTL likely to be delayed

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Dec 16 08:17:10 EST 2009

Hi all,

Apologies to those who have worked on this recently, but we feel it's
unlikely we can include the RTL code in a production release in the
next couple of weeks.

The main reason is that we're grappling very hard with support for new
color models and other features for the printing industry, and what
the right APIs should be for users, and this just won't leave time for
us internally to explore and understand it properly.

We don't want to publish RTL APIs which we then have to break later
on, and it seems wrong to 'reverse' paragraphs without also correctly
handling stringwidth, drawstring and a bunch of other contexts which
might need RTL text.

We will, however, publicise the branch, and get back to work on this
as soon as 2.4 has been shipped.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson