[reportlab-users] IronPython and ReportLab

Tony Meyer tony at spamexperts.com
Thu Aug 20 05:20:25 EDT 2009

(For context, I've only ever used ReportLab with CPython. I do use
IronPython for other things, though).

> Does ironpython support unicode directly ie u'Hello World'?

Yes. IronPython is like Python 3.x in that there are only unicode
strings (`str is unicode` evaluates to True).

> As to why reportlab takes so long to execute I cannot say.

IronPython is faster than CPython with some things, but CPython is
much, much faster at starting up than IronPython. I suspect that
Marco is just seeing the regular slow startup of IronPython.

Cheers,
Tony