[reportlab-users] cannot install reportlab using easy_install

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sun Apr 26 15:55:03 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 01:41:02PM +0300, Sorin Sbarnea wrote:

> Thanks for the fast response. Here is the gcc version:

> gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44) - from CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

> Regarding easy_install - this should be a recommended way to install

> any python package, specially when the distribution does not provide a

> a package using it's package manager.

> I know that I could try other methods but I prefer so solve this bug -

> so others will not have the same issue.

> BTW, I'm not the first encountering this issue, take a look at:

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2009-February/702078.html

> I will be happy to assist in solving this.

I know that people have been re-packaging reportlab so it's
easy_install'able. I've been bugging them about sending a patch
upstream to fix this once and for all for everyone.

See
http://ftp.schooltool.org/schooltool/eggs/3.4/Reportlab-2.1.tar.gz

The SchoolTool project uses that one with the following buildout.cfg:

[buildout]
find-links = http://ftp.schooltool.org/schooltool/eggs/3.4

in other words, I believe that

easy_install -f http://ftp.schooltool.org/schooltool/eggs/3.4/ Reportlab

ought to work, and comparing that tarball with the official one would
provide hints as to what needs to be fixed.

(By the way, that command failed to work for me. I'm assuming it's
because I'm using python 2.6.)

Marius Gedminas
--
To stay awake all night adds a day to your life.
-- Stilgar (Frank Herbert _Children_of_Dune_)