[reportlab-users] Wrong kind of slash in doc string cause error in tests-preinstall

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Apr 20 09:49:30 EDT 2009

2009/4/20 Bill Freeman <bfreeman at appropriatesolutions.com>:

> Hmmm.  I wonder if failure to complain about reverse solidus not part of a

> quoted attribute value is really an improvement.  I guess fast and strict

> will often be at odds with on another.

We have a fast-and-crude parser in our library for intra-paragraph markup,
built in 2000 when the state of XML parsing in Python sucked. We
also have a fairly
ugly way to make a manual by extracting docstrings and turning them to
blocks of markup; I don't regard this manual generation as part of the library
and do not see much point trying to make it more robust, as we'd do it
differently (Sphinx?) if redoing it today. So in this case I just fixed
the bad input instead of generalising the parser. The parser will
still complain if anyone does <this/> inside a paragraph of their own.

> By the way, I've collected a few documentation nits over the weekend.

>  Should I just post diffs here, or is there a more appropriate submission

> mechanism?

Post them here please. We would love more documentation patches.

- Andy