[reportlab-users] question about keepWithNext and multibuild

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Sep 23 11:36:24 EDT 2008

2008/9/23 Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com>:

> Currently the multi-pass builder which was introduced by Andy to allow

> easier calculation of references/tables of content etc etc makes little

> effort to clean up undesired changes made during each pass. Probably we need

> to keep a list of structural changes that are made and reverse these prior

> to succeeding passes. The alternative is to find better implementations of

> keepWithNext and similar which remain invariant after first usage.

> --

I agree. At the present time we have about 8 years accumulated features,
some of which were wrong with hindsight, and it's hard to fix much more without
breaking backward compatibility.

You know what I'd rather do? Deprecate multi-pass altogether, and provide
better documentation on the 'deferred drawing' tricks which make it
reasonably easy to create indices and tables.

Adam, what are you actually trying to do? There may be better ways to do it
without multiple passes that sidesetp this.

- Andy