[reportlab-users] Not moving to Google Code just yet...

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Sep 10 10:11:27 EDT 2008

2008/9/3 Dirk Holtwick <dirk.holtwick at gmail.com>:

> Hi,

> I would like to suggest an approach to make contributing to ReportLab

> easier: Why don't you put ReportLab Toolkit to Google Code

> <http://code.google.com/hosting/> or something similar.

Hi folks,

We have discussed this at length and decided not to do this just now.

First of all, we found out last week how much work it creates for us
internally when we change things around. It's higher than you think,
and even if we would ideally like to do those things for the good of the
community, we just run out of time and can't finish.

Secondly, we do have things planned in the next 3 months which should
go further and make it unnecessary.

1. we're moving to new offices in the next 2-3 weeks, with the
freedom to make our own connectivity arrangements and a proper
data centre; this should resolve the recent issues with accessing
the SVN repo in our office.

2. we are moving our web site across to a Django-based system
we're writing, which should make it easy to use create many more
collaboration tools for the user group; including (I hope) single registration
for mailing list, wiki write access, tracker, a "snippets" site and so on.
Any ReportLab wiki or cookbook really needs to be rich enough to
hold screenshots and PDF attachments, which Google Code (AFAICT)
won't support.

3. we already have an internal tracker (multi-project and multi-customer)
and after (2) we should be able to make a custom view or two so that
open source issues are openly visible, yet still appear within our own
internal issue database, without compromising customer privacy.

The timings on 2 and 3 are hopefully November/December, but there
will be an interim wiki shortly.

- Andy