[reportlab-users] 2.2 - distutils versus setuptools

Dirk Holtwick dirk.holtwick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:28:35 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson schrieb:

> Are there any volunteers willing to "maintain" egg-related matters over

> the next few weeks? i.e. contribute a script, do some testing, and field

> any followup requests arising from it?

My personal opinion is that the recent setup script is by far too
complex but I don't know how to make it better ;)

As a starting point I added a SetupTools script that just does the basic
stuff. It collects all needed data and that's it. You can test it by
starting it like this:

$ python setup_egg.py sdist -k

It will produce a directory containing all collected data. To create
EGGs do like this

$ python setup_egg.py bdist_egg

This way you get a nice EGG placed in "dist". Open it with an unzipper
to look inside the EGG. You will see, there are just the essential data
included ;)

If you type

$ python setup_egg.py bdist_egg upload

the EGG will be published to PYPI. But this is another lesson ;)

As a plus I added a small script setup_version.py that modifies version
information of specific files files. The version number is placed in
VERSION.txt. (BTW I recommend changing names to upper case for the other
files too, like LICENSE.txt etc)

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance please let me know.

Dirk