[reportlab-users] 2.2 - Debian-friendly sample text and fonts

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Sep 2 19:42:33 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:29:53AM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:

> As for the sample text (and tonight is the first time I heard of this

> issue), I just did some homework: the statement at the bottom of our

> odyssey text file is actually a copyright statement for the Internet

> Classics Archive at MIT, whence that text file came. But the actual

> translation by Butler seems to be in the public domain, according to

> www.gutenberg.org. Does this mean I can just delete the misleading

> copyright statement and put in a note saying that it's in the public

> domain?

You could also remove the translation and only include the original Greek
text by Homer. Since when The Poet was alive Disney wasn't there to buy
stupid laws, chances are that Homer's relatives or his original editor (was
oral anyway IIRC) won't mind much and probably won't sue you !

;-)

Jerome Alet