[reportlab-users] More 2.2 questions - package rearrangement

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 2 14:23:05 EDT 2008

some maybe unrelated comments:

The most important thing for people packaging reportlab for a (Linux)
distribution is the possibility to actually be able to distribute it. This was
already mentioned for the 1.x releases and again for the 2.0 release, even
patches were sent to the ML, but silently ignored. I think even a statement that
the reportlab project does not want to address these issues would be more honest
than this non-comment. The stuff which hinders unmodifed distribution are:

- inclusion of non-free fonts, which is not necessary, and these can be
replaced by free fonts as well (or maybe add configuration options to
use fonts which are available on the system).

- the use of a copyrighted example text (the translation of the Homer text
is copyrighted, and you are not allowed to change it, one criterium to
be able to distribute it as part of free software). It should be easy to
find a non-problematic text.

The other proposed changes, including the inclusion of the addons extension into
the main source is welcome. It would be nice if reportlab can be installed using
pure distutils, and doesn't rely on setuptools.

Thanks, Matthias (packaging for Ubuntu and Debian)