[reportlab-users] Has PageCompression changed from RL12 to RL22?

Paolo G. Cantore paolo.cantore at t-online.de
Mon Oct 27 17:16:06 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson wrote:

> 2008/10/25 Paolo G. Cantore <paolo.cantore at t-online.de>:

>> Is my observation correct? Was it intended to change PageCompression

>> behaviour?

> I am not aware of a deliberate reason for the change, but we have

> applications serving millions of pages per month to large ecommerce

> clients with the latest code, and nobody has reported the problem you

> have. We might have optimised it, because PDFs are supposed to be binary

> and Acrobat Distiller does one-line output sometimes.

> Are you able to send us a cut-down script which produces

> a PDF that repeatedly doesn't open in Adobe Reader?

> Best Regards,

Let me further explain: Reportlab output is always okay; there is no
problem to open the pdf in Adobe Reader. Also sending the pdf via email
works inside our corporate network. The problem comes up only when I
send the pdf to external customers.

In the meantime I found a switch in rl_config.py of Reportlab 2.2 to
change the pageCompression behaviour back to Reportlab 1.20, it's wrapA85.

Thank you for your hints.