[reportlab-users] About Helvetica font

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Oct 24 14:04:55 EDT 2008

2008/10/24 Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com>:

> Enrique Comesaña Figueroa wrote:

>> Can anyone help me?, If that is not possible, can anyone suggest me

>> any other way to generate pdf with ALL fonts embedded?

> That's not supposed to be required. Every PostScript rasterizer, per

> standard, should be able to understand a small, core set of Type 1

> fonts, including Helvetica.

Also, we probably "declare" Helvetica as the base font used on each
page, even if it is never used. So a font which is not used may
appear.

Printers sometimes ask for all fonts to be embedded to avoid any
confusion. Also, the PDF/A spec (which we don't support but which
represents a signifiicant movement) will require only embedded fonts
to be used.

The bad news is that today, our library doesn't let you change this.
Some new options are needed around font handling. But I can't promise
a fix date for any of these options unless someone rolls their sleevs
up and has a go...

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson, ReportLab