[reportlab-users] Why isn't my really wide table splitting?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Nov 25 02:24:59 EST 2008

2008/11/25 Bill Freeman <bfreeman at appropriatesolutions.com>:

> Matthew Wilson wrote:

>> I want my really wide table to wrap, but instead, it just runs off the

>> edge of the PDF.

> Last time I looked at the code (maybe 3 months ago) there was no code for

> splitting horizontally.

Bill's right. Although there is some old and probably unmaintained
code from years back to help a programmer explicitly split tables
horizontally, the main Platypus algorithm assumes all your content
fits within the width of your frame, and asks them to split
vertically.

IMHO it's much easier for programmers to cut up their data into chunks
in Python and generate a sequence of smaller tables than it is for us
to split tables in 2 dimensions and correctly take care of all the box
and border styling rules.

Sorry,

--
Andy Robinson