[reportlab-users] Future of py2pdf

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Nov 19 06:53:06 EST 2008

2008/11/19 Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa at gmail.com>:

> Dinu,

>> So I think I will demand from ReportLab to remove py2pdf

>> from its distribution starting with the next release, and

>> distribute it myself as a seperate package, including as

>> one of these insanely ubiquitous "eggs".

> as the integrated version "works", my recommendation is to leave it

> where it is, just to update it with some DOC-String like

> "this may be not the hottest and greatest version of py2pdf; if you

> need something fresher, please go to <yoururl>"

I would prefer that we either
(a) got rid of the demos directory altogether, or

(b) ensured things in it help to form relevant, properly commented
teaching examples (e.g. the long-awaited "long document
with a table of contents" or "print labels") and are maintained.

It's a real problem getting even the 80% of ReportLab staff
familiar with our framework up to speed, let alone people outside.
Removing things which we don't really need is probably a good step.

IMHO a clear link from a reportlab.org page listing related packages
will market the package better than being in a 'demos' directory which
will probably get excluded by some of the packaging mechanisms
anyway. We will be rearranging the open source part of the site
in December and are happy to promote anyone's work there.

- Andy