[reportlab-users] Future of py2pdf

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Nov 19 06:37:53 EST 2008

2008/11/19 Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de>:

> I understand that I can have access to the RL SVN repository

> to work on it, but I wonder if that would change the instal-

> lation issues? Ideally, py2pdf would only need the right

> entries in the setup.py script of the RL distro, but the RL

> release cycle is counterproductive for a quick propagation

> of updates.

We should stop referring to it as a cycle ;-) Think of it as an
unexpected 'event', like a white Christmas or sunny August
day (for a Brit).

Take this with a pinch of salt, but our next target for a release
is December. Project work is getting quieter and we have a
commercial need to get a better-packaged release out with
updated docs, which will require an open source release too.

> So I think I will demand from ReportLab to remove py2pdf

> from its distribution starting with the next release, and

> distribute it myself as a seperate package, including as

> one of these insanely ubiquitous "eggs".

It's your call. Just let us know. We'll be setting up a page of
links to related packages in December anyway. It would be
good to decide for sure this month, though.

--
Andy