[reportlab-users] Visual Diff Tool

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Nov 13 11:57:01 EST 2008

2008/11/13 Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com>:

> I need to check out ImageMagick and see how well it supports PDFs with

> embedded form objects, asian fonts, different font models and so on.

It seems to work great on several of our test files but will not
handle the output of, for example, tests/test_multibyte_jpn.py / .pdf.
I now recall this is why we went with Xpdf; Ghostscript and Quartz
used to be bad at Asian text (although it's probably fixed now
and as people move over to TrueType it will be less of an issue)

I'm still impressed by its 'normal' output though - certainly good
enough for diffing, and I could imagine writing tests which use this
to assert that certain parts of the page end up coloured. Best of all
the binaries are available on all platforms.

Thanks for the tip!

- Andy