[reportlab-users] Visual Diff Tool

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Nov 13 09:10:33 EST 2008

2008/11/13 Dirk Holtwick <dirk.holtwick at gmail.com>:

> Hi,

> I started writing such a visual diff tool, but maybe there already exists

> something similar and I can use this instead of wasting my time on writing

> the reinvention of the wheel ;)

We had good results internally with a utility called "pdftoppm", which
I think is part of the Xpdf distro.
http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

To be honest we are not using it for test cases. I know we should be ;-)
We have used it in various "tracing tools" to take measurements off other
peoples' PDFs, and to get thumbnails for page previews in a CMS.

> So my question: has anyone seen a tool like this around? If so, please let

> me know where to find it. Otherwise I would write the visual diff tool and

> maybe Reportlab also likes to use visual test cases for their toolkit?

Definitely!

- Andy