[reportlab-users] Packaging

Yannick Gingras ygingras at ygingras.net
Sun May 25 18:27:46 EDT 2008

Hi,
We manage the deployment of a web application with setuptools
dependencies requirements. Those are version specifications that we
put in setup.py so that when we install our app on a new host,
setuptools takes care of easy_installing our dependencies.
Easy_install can figure out how to install most python archives if
there is a setup.py file at the root.

Reportlab is one of the few python packages that do not build its
tarball with

python setup.py sdist

or if it does, there is some major customizations going on at
generation time. Installing Reportlab is easy but it would be even
easier and a good target for automation if the tarball was more in
line with the other python packages out there (and registered on
PyPi).

I don't mind doing the required code massaging to produce an
easy_installable tarball. Would such path be merge into Reportlab?

--
Yannick Gingras