[reportlab-users] [ANNOUNCE] Online LTO barcode labels generator

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun May 18 12:17:44 EDT 2008

Hi there,

With the help of some code I've contributed to ReportLab a few days
ago, I've put a new web service online.

This web service can help people generate LTO (Linear Tape Open)
barcode labels usually found in backup libraries. It is currently
accessible from :

http://cgi.librelogiciel.com/labels/

(NB : google ads are used to sponsorize this service, so don't go there
if you don't like these)

You can generate as many labels as you want, in batches of 10000
maximum (to not consume too much resources when people only want
to play with it).

The code in ReportLab currently features two new Flowables, which
are built on the work done on barcodes by Ty Sarna : BaseLTOLabel,
which defines the basic structure of such labels, and VerticalLTOLabel
which adds some features like color scheme and boxed tape ID.
They are available from reportlab.graphics.barcode.lto.

Theses classes inherit from the Standard39 class but define special
values for ratio and spacing as required by the LTO norm.

In the coming week(s) I'll try to add support for more formats. The
actual online code (not yet contributed to RL) allows user defined
color scheme, but ideally the placement of the tape ID should be
partically configurable as well, and this is what I'll try to do.

Comments are welcome.

bye

Jerome Alet