[reportlab-users] Platypus spacing issues

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Sat May 10 10:11:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

every once in a while I'm stumbling over little Platypus issues
and wonder if there is a known solution to them? Here are two
questions for today, illustrated with the following sample docu-
ment (reusing a RL sample document):

http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/TestPdfPage_test0.pdf (664 KB)

1. I put a Spacer flowable before and after the illustrations. As
you can see at the top right column on page 1, I'd like this par-
ticular Spacer to be ignored, since it occurs at the top of a frame
and adds an ugly ragged look, because the left and right columns
are no longer aligned at the top. Does anybody know how to achieve
this effect with Platypus?

2. In the left column on page two you see un agly gap, because the
following illustration did not fit there anymore. Is there some
flowable magic that would detect this, grab the following flowable
(in this case a paragraph) and split it such that the image is fit
into the "middle" of the paragraph and the empty space disappears?
Or is there any other way to do this?

If I'm not mistaken LaTeX provides both features out of the box.

Thanks,

Dinu