[reportlab-users] Hebrew NIKUD punctuation mark problem positioning clarification

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Mar 19 13:00:28 EDT 2008

Michael Kupferman wrote:

> Hi,

> As shown in the attached image (from PDF) the problem seems to be that when

> I load an OTF font that renders properly on other platforms like

> inDesign/Illustrator, the marks below the letters appears to not be

> positioned corrcetly.

> Consulting with a font studio, I was told that the OTF file includes a

> certain table that knows about combinations. that is,

> For every punctuation mark, the side-bearing (positioning to the left or

> /and right) are variable based on what character they apear after.

> It seems like, when I load this font and use it in a Paragraph, report-lab

> misses those instructions and only uses the mark-positioning and bleading

> info of its own and not the combination.

> Can someone relate to this ?

> In the attached picture, you can see the two dots (u'05b5) is almost between

> two alpha-betical chars , while it should be placed below one of them

> Thanks

> Michael

our software doesn't know anything about combining characters. If the ttf file
contains support for the combined character then presumably the characters will
be drawn correctly. Our code will not render (E,acutesymbol) properly, but
EACUTE does get rendered properly, so I guess I'm asking if the font contains
the combinations or just the simple glyphs.