[reportlab-users] Hebrew NIKUD punctuation mark problem positioning clarification

Michael Kupferman mikolo2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:45:04 EDT 2008

Hi,
As shown in the attached image (from PDF) the problem seems to be that when
I load an OTF font that renders properly on other platforms like
inDesign/Illustrator, the marks below the letters appears to not be
positioned corrcetly.
Consulting with a font studio, I was told that the OTF file includes a
certain table that knows about combinations. that is,
For every punctuation mark, the side-bearing (positioning to the left or
/and right) are variable based on what character they apear after.

It seems like, when I load this font and use it in a Paragraph, report-lab
misses those instructions and only uses the mark-positioning and bleading
info of its own and not the combination.
Can someone relate to this ?

In the attached picture, you can see the two dots (u'05b5) is almost between
two alpha-betical chars , while it should be placed below one of them
Thanks
Michael

--
"Let there be blues..."