[reportlab-users] TableStyle "FONTNAME"

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jan 17 14:37:11 EST 2008

Jason Craig wrote:

> Robin Becker wrote:

>> The standard 14 fonts are all listed in reportlab/pdfbase/_fontdata.py;

>> standardFonts = (

>> 'Courier', 'Courier-Bold', 'Courier-Oblique', 'Courier-BoldOblique',

>> 'Helvetica', 'Helvetica-Bold', 'Helvetica-Oblique',

>> 'Helvetica-BoldOblique',

>> 'Times-Roman', 'Times-Bold', 'Times-Italic', 'Times-BoldItalic',

>> 'Symbol','ZapfDingbats')

>> These are the fonts which are built in to Acrobat Reader. You can

>> register fonts like Arial using code like

>> from reportlab.pdfbase import pdfmetrics, ttfonts

>> pdfmetrics.registerFont(ttfonts.TTFont("Arial", "path_to_arial.ttf"))

> Note that "Helvetica" is usually another name for "Arial".

I guess that depends on how picky you are. The name "Helvetica" refers
to the Adobe standard font of that name, which, as Robin indicated, is
built in to the Acrobat Reader, and to every Postscript printer. It is
certainly a separate font from Arial, and the character shapes and
spacing are slightly different.

Arial was created by Microsoft to avoid having to license Helvetica, and
was inspired by and intended to be a clone of Helvetica, but they are
not the same.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.