[reportlab-users] Flowing onto second column

Jim Steil jim at qlf.com
Thu Feb 14 11:09:05 EST 2008

Robin Becker wrote:

> Jim Steil wrote:

>> Tim Roberts wrote:

>>> Sure. You just create multiple frames, one for each column, and add

>>> http://www.hoboes.com/Mimsy/?ART=558

>> Ok, I'm trying to get my report working per the instructions at the

>> link above. However, I've changed it a bit because instead of having

>> paragraphs display in my columns, I have tables that I want to snake

>> around the columns. So, where this doc refers to paragraphs in the

>> 'items' list, I'm appending tables. But, when I get to the

>> document.build(posts) statement, I get the following dump:

>> Traceback (most recent call last):

>> File "C:\PyWork\Motion\motion\utility\priceSheet.py", line 187, in

>> <module>

>> priceSheets(filename)

>> File "C:\PyWork\Motion\motion\utility\priceSheet.py", line 178, in

>> priceSheets

>> go(doc, c)

>> File "C:\PyWork\Motion\motion\utility\priceSheet.py", line 167, in go

>> doc.build(allData)

>> File

>> "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\reportlab\platypus\doctemplate.py",

>> line 749, in build

>> tr.srcFile,

>> AttributeError: Field instance has no attribute 'srcFile'

>> I'm stumped as to where I should look for the problem. Can anyone

>> give me any clues?

> well tr is obtained because the erroneous flowable was given some sort

> of _traceInfo. That should be an object with the following attributes

> srcFile,startLineNo,endLineNo,endLinePos

> if it doesn't have those attributes then an error will result. I don't

> think there's any way that _traceInfo can be non None unless it's

> being set somewhere deliberately. Just create a tracing class and use

> that instead of a simple string or whatever. I suppose we could

> consider allowing _traceInfo to be a simple string of your choosing

> and using that rather than a structured object. I have to confess I

> know little (or perhaps have forgotten) about this code. I suspect in

> the modern world we'd just make _traceInfo something with a __str__

> method (or a str).

So, are you implying that I should be looking into the doctemplate.py
and find a better solution to the reportlab code? I don't think I have
the depth of knowledge necessary to take that on. Or, are you saying
that I'm giving it a bad flowable that is causing the problem? If so,
how could I identify that?

Thanks for any input you can give.

-Jim